Jun 10th 2016
WRQ report: Global softwood trade soared in Q1/2016
Wood Resource Quarterly (WRQ) has issued its Q1/2016 report on global forest industry trends.
Main highlights include:
- Global softwood timber trade reached an all-time high in 2015 when, according to estimates by the WRI, 118 million m3 was traded internationally. This year has started out with even higher volumes being traded around the world; the Q1/16 shipments were approximately 20% more than in the Q1/15.
- Global sawlog prices fell 0.8% Q-O-Q and the GSPI Index has declined 20.7% in two year.
- The European Sawlog Price Index (ESPI) has dropped 8.5% from the 1Q/15.
- The two WRI wood fiber price indices for softwood and hardwood fiber (SFPI and HFPI) were down by 5.2% and 6.7%, respectively, from the same quarter in 2015.
- Russian timber export prices have fallen 36% in two years in US dollar terms.
- Global production of market pulp increased by over 3% in 2015. This increase in production continued in early 2016 with data for the first two months showing a healthy 3.0% growth as compared to the same period in 2015.
- North American pellet exports to Europe reached 6.1 million tons in 2015, a new record high.